Wednesday, May 14, 2014

the life of being chilly in Chile

So.... I made it to Chile.
I guess since y'all know me and this blog, you should know that about everything that could've went wrong, actually did.
We get to the Little Rock airport, ready to go, with my enthusiasm at hand, ready to start this incredible journey.  Only to find out that our flight had been cancelled due to rain. So we have to switch companies and they mess up our tickets.  Once we get that worked out we went through security (where they proceeded to search me and take my PEANUT BUTTER), then we were good to go.  The flight kept getting pushed back and pushed back, then they were flying in a new plane from Atlanta.  They get us seated on this plane, then tell us what had been the problem.  Apparently there was a part of the plane that wasn't working, but they were getting the write-off from the mechanics to tell us it was okay to fly us to Georgia.  I don't know about y'all, but I don't necessarily feel safe flying in a plane that isn't at its best.
We get to Georgia, and make our flight.  It was a packed flight and I was sitting in the middle.  ON A 10 HOUR FLIGHT. It was the epitome of discomfort. Thankfully I was sitting next to some very nice people, but that didn't make me any more comfortable, or less exhausted.  My stomach hurt from cramping the entire 10 hours, and my mind was delirious from no sleep.
Santiago was not the most inviting town I've ever been to, to say the least. The plane landed and our instructions from Delta were to get another ticket through American Airlines. Which is kinda hard to do since we don't speak any Spanish. We waited in the wrong line for 30 minutes, then had to go through customs and security (where they proceeded to stop me AGAIN and almost took my gummi worms).  We were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, but a guy helped us, and then blatantly told us to give him a tip, and took way too much money from us because we are naive Americans.
From there it was smooth sailing to our office that we were staying at! It's a lot different than home however.  It's freezing and rainy here, we only have propane heaters and can't have them on all the time, the walls are very thin so we here everything outside, you have to light the oven and stove with an actual match, and you have to turn the water heater off when you aren't using it... to name a few!

I'm excited about the possibilities though! This mission trip will give me a world of opportunities to connect with people of a different culture while teaching Jesus.. and that's all I've ever wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment