Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Oscar the Grouch

So, anyone who has talked to me in the past month knows that my life has been leading up to one climactic point.... and that point was on March 2.  The Oscars came on. And in my life, that's like a national holiday.  That's all I had talked about for like a week, and I was so excited that I couldn't focus on anything else for the whole day based on the pure anticipation of seeing everyone's dresses, mistakes, and tearful speeches.  But unluckily for me, an ice storm was brewing for the exact moment the Academy Awards were supposed to change my life.

What's that saying? Man plans and God laughs? That could not be more true.

I got back to Tech around 5 because I had some "studying" to do for 2 tests the next day.  And by study I mean to analyze every celebrity's outfit, laugh at anything Jennifer Lawrence had to say, and get embarrassed for all the stars that Ellen would make a delightful fool of.  Also I had to get back because Snowpocalypse 2014 was headed towards Russellville and I was ill-equipped to stay on the highway for all of eternity.

I start watching the red carpet E! coverage and I'm completely enthralled with everything Ross Matthews and Kelly Osbourne have to say.  My friend Elayna just texted me to go play cards with some people at her dorm, and I told her I would solely based on if I could watch the Oscars or not.  Just as Jennifer Lawrence busted it on the red carpet my tv goes out.  Thinking that it might just be my dorm (since we had no hot water anyways), I head over to the building she lives in.  It's sleeting so hard I can't even open my eyes.  So I blindly walk on a slippery slope all the way across campus, only to realize that you can't get in the building with your card because THE ELECTRICITY IS OUT.

Someone lets me in and I call them to see where they are. They answer the phone by saying "You're not at our dorm are you?!" So that was greaaaat. They had gone to another person's dorm, WITH electricity, on the complete opposite side of campus, forgetting to alert me.  By then I'd given up. I just wanted to get in bed and give up on life, because that's what you do when you can't watch the Oscars.  I called a friend to see if she was heading over to Baswell (the dorm everyone was at) & she didn't answer.  So I walked outside, and as soon as I shut the door to my shelter from the sleet, she calls back saying she's on her way.  I wait in the weather and we eventually  make our way to the dorm.

But of course, even where there is electricity and hot water.... THE TV CONNECTION IS OUT. I was devastated. I made the best out of the night by playing card games... but that didn't make the let down of weathering the storm and missing the Academy Awards any easier to take.

 Now, as we're speaking- or as I'm typing and you're reading- I'm attempting to find the show online to watch.  But unluckily for me, Hulu Plus is the only one with it available so I'm rewatching the show in gifs and crappy youtube videos.  HAPPY OSCARS DAY TO ME. You can just refer to me as Oscar the Grouch from now on.

But as you can see from the picture above, I had a splendid time and am so lucky I got the honor of being in the picture that broke twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment