Sunday, October 6, 2013

luke bryan is a liar

So I haven't written in a while because my life has been going fairly great... Which is really weird. BUT nobody worry. This weekend was pretty unfortunate so now I have a story to tell about and blow way out of proportion.

Ty and I were really looking forward to a nice weekend camping in Branson with his church. It takes about 3-4 hours to get there from Russvegas so I left pretty early on Friday. Starting off, Ty's dog Abby kept trying to sit on my face and insisted on licking me every 2 seconds... which was uncomfortable enough.  Add that to the fact that I get super car sick, and it makes for a great start to a memorable trip up to Branson with the ever so curvy roads.

We set everything up, had hamburgers, and sat around the fire with friends when we got there, so the first evening was a success! That night was an entirely different story though.  I didn't get to sleep til 2.. and anyone that knows me can tell you that I NEED MY SLEEP. So naturally, the weather decided that it hates me.. and it started pouring rain 3. That could be really great and cozy if it hadn't been freaking 10 degrees below zero and my tent wasn't becoming the Arkansas River.  Half of my sleeping bag was soaked, my pillow was really wet, and the pad I was sleeping on could have just as easily been a shower mat the way things were going. Despite all of that, I continued to look past all of that and try, for the love of all that is good, to get some sleep. But Abby apparently got the memo about not working in my favor this weekend, because she was up and ready to go outside by 7. So I got up and sat with her, only to find that all of our chairs were SOAKED, all of our open food was soggy, and you can just forget about trying to sit on the bench.

I go back in my tent a few hours later only to find that now ALL of my stuff was basically ruined for the weekend.  This includes all of my clothes, all of my bedding, my hammock, my shoes, both my backpacks, my wallet, AND my bible. So for the entire weekend I perpetually smelled like mildewed clothes and campfire (which, if you're wanting to know, won't become a candle at bath & bodyworks anytime soon). Ty, being the great guy that he is, tried to make the most out of the rainy day and brought me to cracker barrel, a movie, and lamberts. That was all great, besides the fact that cracker barrel made me extremely sick, so I felt like I was going to puke all day, I fell asleep in the movie, and we had at least a 30 minute wait outside of lamberts when it could have been December the way the weather was. I was half expecting to see snowflakes.

That night I slept in his truck, because I couldn't get soaked again... It just wasn't an option for me, physically or emotionally. I woke up and literally thought I was in that movie The Empire Strikes Back where Han Solo and Luke are on that snowy planet and have to fight on those weird dinosaur looking animals. But that's just a really dramatic way of saying that it was rather chilly, and I thought I was dying because of the way I slept. We eventually loaded everything up and headed out (I slept the entire way back), got home and had pizza and watched Everybody Loves Raymond. Now I'm back in my dorm doing the 4 loads of laundry I have to try and get the musk out of my clothes.

To connect the dots for people who don't listen to country music, Luke Bryan's song 'Rain is a Good Thing' IS A FLAT OUT LIE. Rain is a diabolical, terrible thing that you can't avoid when camping no matter how well equipped you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment